Richmond Road School

Richmond Road School

Richmond Road School - unsurprisingly in Richmond Road - is where some from two generations of the family were educated between when it opened and the late 1930s. It was nicknamed "The Gasworks Academy" for reasons that should be obvious from the above photograph . The Town-Gas Works was closed in the 1970s with the introduction of Natural Gas, though to this day the Gasholders remain. Much of the site is now taken up with a Sainsbury's supermarket.

Photographic evidence exists that the school was opened at least a year before 1907 - click here to see photographs of Charles Albert Duff posing outside the school in 1906 and 1907.

Photographs taken in September 2008.

Plaque on Richmond Road School

 

< BACK
This page was last updated on 2nd January 2009 >.